Smashbox is one of my favorite brands of makeup; their eye shadows blend so well, as do their blushes and bronzers. One of their products that I absolutely cannot live without is the Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner. It comes in a variety of colors and lasts throughout the day without smearing. I apply the gel with a bent brush across the top of my lash line so it goes on straight and smoothly. It’s also great if you want the “cat-eyed” look.
Once the weather starts to get hot and humid, I begin wearing a lighter moisturizer and make-up primer. Since I am prone to breakouts and have sensitive skin, I look for a product that is light-weight and oil-free. After my moisturizer is absorbed into my skin, I apply Smashbox’s Photo Finish Light primer to my face; specifically to my shine areas. It makes my skin soft and evens out the texture, so that I have a smooth canvas to apply my foundation to. My makeup lasts longer throughout the day and my skin does not become shiny. There are different variations of this primer too, depending on what your skin needs. This product is great and I highly recommend it.
Smashbox’s Baked Sunburst is perfect if you are looking to give your face some definition and a natural, subtle glow. The colors work perfectly together and it is one of the few products that never leaves my beauty bag. When applying, I focus on my cheeks and softly blend around the rest of my face and sometimes my collarbone. Love!
Stay cool this summer. xox Lins
Crème de la Mer is my number one favorite moisturizer. I’m usually skeptical when I hear about a celebrity-endorsed product, but after seeing so many ads and articles about this one, I gave in. The jar may seem small for the price tag, but it lasts me at least a full 3 months each time. And the results speak for themselves.
In order to activate the cream’s ingredients, you scoop a dime-sized amount onto your finger tips and rub them together. Then, you gently press the cream into your face. Immediately, your skin will feel fresh and hydrated. Crème de la Mer doesn’t leave that uncomfortable residue either; it absorbs very well. After using this cream for a few weeks, my skin began to naturally look more vibrant and smoother. If you are unhappy with your current moisturizer, ask for a sample at your local Nordstrom and see for yourself. I recommend using the Crème de la Mer Moisturizing Cream during the colder months and switching to the moisturizing gel cream during the warmer months
My eye lashes are thin and don’t have a natural curl, so it is difficult for me to find mascara that doesn’t weigh my lashes down or dry them out. I was a fan of Dior’s mascara until I was given a sample of Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash Mascara at Sephora. I was so pleased with this product that it is the only mascara I will buy from now on. It lasts all day long without making my lashes dry and flaky, and keeps them curled. The applicator is a big asset as well, largely because it is rubbery and designed to separate your lashes, which helps them look longer and fuller. Another plus is that it is paraben-free.
Have you ever noticed a woman whose foundation makes her face look orange? It looks like she is wearing a mask of makeup and her face appears to be drastically darker than her neck and the rest of her body. In high school, we used to call these girls cake faces. I am always tempted to politely say something, because they must not be aware of what they look like. But how do you approach a stranger or someone you are not that friendly with, without embarrassing or hurting their feelings? Instead of taking that risk, I wanted to share my tips on picking out the right shade of foundation for your skin tone.
- First, you have to decide what type of skin you have – does your face tend to be dry, oily or a combination (normal)?
- Once you have determined what type of skin you have, you now want to do some research on which brand of makeup will best suit you. If you tend to have occasional breakouts like I do, look for a foundation that is oil-free and non comedogenic. Personally, I love Makeup Forever’s HD Foundation at Sephora. If your skin is dry or aged, I recommend looking into Estee Lauder or a foundation that is made specifically for dry skin. That way, your skin will be hydrated and will conceal any wrinkles.
- Before you go shopping, look at yourself in the mirror without any products on. This is so that you can give yourself an idea of what your natural shade is. Another good indicator is by looking at the shade of your neck and hands. You don’t want a shade that will make you paler or tanner; you want the exact shade of your skin. Foundation is used to give yourself a clean canvas to work with before applying any makeup.
- If you are shopping at a drug store, it may be slightly harder to find the right shade of foundation since you aren’t able to test the product before you buy it. Just remember to save your receipt in case. Otherwise, department stores have an abundance of testers and are the best places to find your perfect match. The women who work at the cosmetic counters may seem intimidating at first, but I can assure they are not. I used to work in cosmetics myself and it is our job to assist and educate you. Don’t be shy!
- You can ask for suggestions or test the shades on your own. Make sure you look for a shade that best matches your skin. Sometimes a color looks much different in the bottle than it does on your face. If you’re unsure, ask for a few samples so that you can take them home and test them in different lighting.
- Overall, the point of foundation is to improve your appearance and to make you feel confident. If you want to appear tanner, the biggest mistake you can do is to buy a foundation that is too dark. Purchase a foundation that is closest to your skin color, and gradually apply a bronzer to your cheekbones, forehead and décolleté afterwards. You want your natural beauty to appear as much as possible. Less is always more!