Many people are unaware of the many health-promoting benefits spices have. They contain several anti-inflammatory and gastrointestinal properties. For instance, oregano and parsley are packed with fiber and iron, as well as Vitamin K, which helps promote healthy bones. They both strengthen the immune system and aid the digestion system. Cinnamon is great for lowering cholesterol and maintaining blood sugar levels. Hot spices, such as crushed red pepper, are also immune system boosters that help increase blood flow and your metabolism. Don’t down-play spices – the next time you reach for a slice of pizza or make a salad, remember to sprinkle some on top!
Have you been lacking energy and are stuck in a diet-dud? It happens to every woman every now and then when we go back to our old habits. Luckily, the following are surefire ways to get your energy and diet back on track!
- Begin a morning routine by waking up at the same time. Wake up early enough so that you are not in a rush, eat breakfast and prepare yourself for the day ahead.
- Stretch each morning and night. This increases your flexibility, helps your blood flow and is beneficial to your mentality.
- Kick the sugar habit and stop relying on caffeine for energy. Swap your sugary drinks for water or iced tea and start taking a multi-vitamin daily.
- Don’t eat past 8pm so that your body can digest and you won’t feel sluggish the next morning.
- Take a daily walk whenever possible; whether it is before your day starts, at lunch break during work or after you get home.
- Gradually introduce a workout regimen to increase your mood, stamina and metabolism. Going to the gym is not necessarily needed. There are an unlimited amount of simple exercises that anyone can perform in their own home: lunges, squats, push-ups, and sit-ups. When lifting weights, start off by lifting light weights, but with more repetitions.
Most people laugh at me when I tell them I drink lemon water. Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder quickly pointed out that it is because most don’t focus on the healing properties of foods, and I completely agree! I have been buying lemons for years and squeezing them into my water. I love water by itself, but there are so many health benefits associated with drinking water with lemon.
Lemons alone are packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals, like potassium, calcium and vitamin C – when you combine it with water, you have somewhat of a super drink! Squeezing lemon in your water helps rid our bodies of impurities, cleanses the blood and boosts our immune system. It also stimulates the liver and improves the digestive system. When toxins are removed from our bodies, we have more energy and our skin becomes clear and vibrant. Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is especially beneficial because it helps stimulate and get our bodies off to a good start.